Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

Fit Pregnancy Workout #5 & Healthy Chicken Tacos Recipe

I love fall food and when fall rolls around, out comes my oh-so-loved Crockpot. I am quiet obsessed with this little machine. It can make everything from fresh bread, hearty soups, tender chicken dishes, and even delectable desserts. Although this little wonder has a very special place in my heart, I literally only bring it out in the fall/winter (habit I suppose?). I must reevaluate next year.

Being from South Texas means I also love one other thing A LOT...mexican food! Below is a healthy chicken taco recipe I came up with. I compared the recipe to my favorite Mexican chain- Chipotle. I mostly like Chipotle because it's healthier than most other Mexican options. Don't worry Texas friends, I still love a lard-loaded tortilla, but these days I have to save my calories for more protein-dense foods. :)  My recipe didn't win by a landslide, but it definitely will save you some calories, fat & sodium- plus it's cheaper and the leftovers keep well (freezer or fridge).


















RECIPE
Servings: 4-5 (3 tacos per serving- feed that baby!)
        -enough for 12-15 tacos total

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs raw skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • salt, to taste
  • 16 oz roasted salsa verde (hands down my fav salsa to cook with)
  • 4 oz. can green chilis diced
  • 8 oz. chicken broth
Taco & toppings (included in calorie count):
  • Black beans 
  • Chopped Avacado
  • Fresh Pico (Tomatoes, onion, salt, cilantro)
  • Chopped Romaine 
  • Corn Tortillas
Instructions:
-Season chicken with garlic powder, cayenne, cumin and salt and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with salsa verde, canned chilis, and broth. Cover and cook HIGH 2 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
-Remove chicken, shred using 2 forks. Remove 2/3 cup of liquid from the slow cooker and discard. Place shredded chicken back into the crock pot with remaining salsa, adjust seasoning to taste if needed and keep warm.

WORKOUT!
And onto the 15 week, second trimester pregnancy workout! This is a crazy cardio one, but I LOVE IT! And still do it today at 25 weeks along.



 



Progress pic (18 weeks vs. 25 weeks)! CRAZY!

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment